brew n : drink made by steeping and boiling and fermenting rather than distilling [syn: brewage]
1 prepare by brewing; "people have been brewing beer for thousands of years"
2 sit or let sit in boiling water so as to extract the flavor; "the tea is brewing"
- , /bruː/, /bru:/
- Rhymes with: -uː
- To prepare (usually
a beverage) by steeping and mingling; to concoct.
- Go, brew me a pottle of sack finely.
- To foment or prepare,
as by brewing; to contrive; to plot; to hatch.
- Hence with thy brewed enchantments, foul deceiver!
- To attend to the
business, or go through the processes, of brewing or making beer.
- I wash, wring, brew, bake, scour.
- To be in a state of preparation; to be mixing, forming, or gathering.
- There is some ill a-brewing towards my rest.
- In the context of "transitive|obsolete": To boil or seethe; to cook.
- Dutch: brouwsel
General== Brew may refer to:
- Brewing, the production of beverages and fuels through fermentation
- Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless, a development platform for mobile phones
- Brew (horse), a Melbourne Cup winner in 2000
- BREW, Inc., a non-profit beagle rescue group (Beagle, Rescue, Education, and Welfare) based in Virginia, USA.
- Brew program, a build system used within and internal to Red Hat to build their Linux distribution packages.
- Business Resource Efficiency and Waste programme, part of the UK government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Brew, commonly used terminology to describe having a cup of tea
- Drip brew, a method for brewing coffee
- The Brew House, an artistic collective on the south side of Pittsburgh
- A cup of tea, a slang term in Northern England.
- A slang term for Beer.
- Aled Brew, Welsh rugby union winger for Newport Gwent Dragons
- Bill Brew, Australian rugby league player in the NSW Rugby League (NSWRL) (1940-1941)
- Chartres Brew (1815–1870), Canadian gold commissioner and judge
- Derrick Brew (born 1977), 2004 U.S. Olympic Gold medalist in the Men's 4x400 meter relay*
- ((Luke Brew..)) Future England and Chelsea player (Ruislip London)
Brew, album recorded by American jazz trumpeter Miles Davis,
released in 1970
- The Complete Bitches Brew Sessions, four-disc box set of music recordings by trumpeter Miles Davis
- Dragon's Brew, animated episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series, aired in October 2005.
- Mischief Brew, a band from Philadelphia which plays Acoustic folk and anarcho-punk music
- Sonic Brew, first album by the heavy metal band Black Label Society
- Strange Brew, 1983 film starring the popular SCTV characters Bob & Doug McKenzie
- Strange Brew: The Very Best of Cream, 1983 Cream compilation album
- Strange Old Brew, album by the Norwegian black metal band Carpathian Forest
- Vinman's Brew, the seventh song of Vinnie Moore's album "Out of nowhere"
- Wasted Youth Brew, compilation album by the hardcore punk band, Blood for Blood
- Witches Brew, disambiguation page
- Wizzard's Brew, the first album by glam rock group Wizzard, released in March 1973
- BREW Binary Runtime Environment for Wireless, the application development platform for mobile devices (cell phones).
- Mount Brew, several mountains in British Columbia, Canada
- Witches Brew, disambiguation page
brew in Russian: Brew
John Barleycorn, Pilsner, alcohol, alcoholic beverage, alcoholic drink, ale, angle, approach, aqua vitae, ardent spirits, await, bake, barbecue, baste, bathe, be imminent, be in store, beer, begin, besprinkle, beverage, bitters, blanch, blast, blossom, blow, blow a hurricane, blow great guns, blow over, blow up, bluster, bock beer, boil, bootleg, booze, braise, breathe, breeze, breeze up, bring about, broil, brown, burgeon, cabal, cause, coddle, collude, color, combination, come on, come up, complot, compose, composition, compound, concoct, concoction, confection, confront, connive, conspire, contrive, cook, cook up, countermine, counterplot, curry, decoct, decoction, decoctum, develop, devil, devise, distill, do, do to perfection, douche, draw near, draw nigh, draw on, dredge, drench, drink, drouk, dye, engineer, entincture, face, ferment, finagle, finesse, fire, fix up, flavor, flourish, flush, form, forthcome, frame, frame up, freshen, fricassee, frizz, frizzle, fry, gather, germinate, get up, go on, griddle, grill, grog, grow, grow up, half-and-half, hang over, hard liquor, hash, hatch, hatch a plot, hatch up, heat, hodgepodge, hover, huff, hypertrophy, imbrue, imbue, impend, impregnate, increase, inebriant, infiltrate, infuse, inject, instill, intoxicant, intoxicating liquor, intrigue, jumble, lager beer, lave, lay a plot, leach, leaven, lie over, light beer, liquor, little brown jug, lixiviate, loom, lower, macerate, machinate, make, make up, malt liquor, maneuver, mature, mead, medley, melange, menace, mishmash, mix, mixture, moonlight, moonshine, mushroom, near, near beer, operate, outgrow, oven-bake, overdevelop, overgrow, overhang, overtop, pan, pan-broil, parboil, pastiche, penetrate, percolate, permeate, pervade, pipe up, plan, plot, poach, porter, potable, potation, potpourri, prepare, prepare food, procreate, produce, puff, pullulate, pulque, punch bowl, put together, rage, reproduce, rig, rinse, roast, rum, sake, salad, saturate, saute, scallop, scheme, schnapps, sear, season, seethe, set in, shirr, shoot up, simmer, soak, social lubricant, sodden, sop, souse, spirits, spring up, sprout, sprout up, squall, start, steam, steep, stew, stir-fry, storm, stout, strong drink, strong waters, suffuse, tea, temper, the Demon Rum, the bottle, the cup, the flowing bowl, the luscious liquor, the ruddy cup, threaten, thrive, tincture, tinge, toast, tower, toxicant, transfuse, upshoot, upspear, upspring, upsprout, vegetate, waft, wangle, wash, water of life, waterlog, wax, whiff, whiffle